This key resources page is a great place to start to find the best academic resources for academic research and to inspire your practice. You can use these resources alongside recommended reading from your tutors to extend your research into new areas.
The Library subscribes to journals chosen by the Faculty that you can access in print and online via Discover. We’ve put together a list in My Module Resources that brings together all of the journals we have. This will help you browse current editions and keep up-to-date with whats going on in the arts and design world.
Explore our subscription to Box of Broadcasts (BoB) which is an on-demand TV & radio streaming service. This means that our staff and students have access to BoB’s archive and also have the ability to record upcoming programs over 65 free-to-air channels from the UK and beyond.
** Check out our hints and tips for getting the most out of BoB. **
BoB is an educational broadcasting and archives service from the British Universities and Colleges Film and Video Council (BUFVC) which gives access to over two million TV and radio broadcasts dating back to the 1990s. Content includes BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, ITV, Channel 4, Film4 and more. There are 10 foreign language channels (including Italian, French and German) and BBC Shakespeare Archive content dating back to the 1950s.
As well as giving stable, legal access to broadcast content, BoB offers some exciting features for teaching and learning.
- Links to broadcasts or clips can be embedded into presentations, or embedded into Canvas.
- Advanced search: It’s possible to search BoB by subject or program as well as by date e.g. it’s possible to see everything broadcast from a date in time.
- Clips and notes: You can use slider bars on a broadcast to create clips and write annotations on those clips. It’s possible to put these clips into a compilation. No extra software is needed.
- Playlists: Tutors can create playlists, with annotations, and make these available publicly, to a cohort, or keep them private in a workspace. There are over 80,000 publicly available playlists, and it’s possible to search these by curator, keyword, or institution. Playlists can include programs, individual broadcasts, clips or clip compilations
- Transcripts: BoB also offers transcripts, which would be helpful for accessibility, language comprehension, quoting for essays, as well as scriptwriting. Transcripts are fully searchable by keyword.
Art Full Text is a bibliographic database that indexes and abstracts articles from journals published throughout the world. Full-text coverage for selected journals. Coverage includes English-language journals, yearbooks, and museum bulletins, as well as journals published in French, Italian, German, Japanese, Spanish, Dutch, and Swedish. In addition to articles, Art Full Text indexes reproductions of works of art that appear in indexed journals.
Dance in Video contains five hundred hours of dance productions and documentaries by the most influential performers and companies of the 20th century. Selections cover ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, experimental, and improvisational dance, as well as forerunners of the forms and the pioneers of modern concert dance.
Education Research Complete is a new database available via Discover containing full text journal articles, conference papers and books. It contains the full text of over 1,300 journals, over 2,500 education related conference papers and access to over 500 ebooks.
The database includes all levels of education from early childhood to higher education, and all educational specialties, such as multilingual education, health education, and testing. It also covers areas of curriculum instruction as well as administration, policy, funding, and related social issues.
International Bibliography of Theatre and Drama is the definitive research tool for the study of theatre and the performing arts. It is a fully indexed, cross-referenced and annotated databank of over 60,000 journal articles, books, book chapters and dissertation abstracts on all aspects of theatre and performance in 126 countries. International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text contains more than 490 full-text titles, including more than 170 full-text journals, and more than 360 full-text books & monographs.
Literary Reference Center Plus is a really useful database for drama and performing arts. It contains information from reference works, books and literary journals plus 35 volumes of new contemporary literature titles, 40 full-text literary study guides and 72 literary videos. Try a keyword search by author or play title to find relevant journal articles.
UK Newspapers – LexisNexis contains a news database of full-text UK regional, national and broadsheet newspapers. Coverage goes back as far as January 1982 to the present day for some titles, although this varies by publication.
International newspapers – Here is a selection of news websites and international newspapers.
PhD theses can be useful sources of unpublished information. University of Sunderland theses are added to the Sunderland Repository. You may find theses from other universities via EThOS or PQDT Open.
SURE (Sunderland Repository)
Search research written by University of Sunderland staff and students.
EThOS (e-theses online service) – from the British Library
EThOS is the UK’s national thesis service with approximately 400,000 records relating to theses awarded by over 120 institutions. Around 160,000 of these also provide access to the full text.
PQDT Open provides the full text of open access dissertations and theses free of charge where the author has opted to publish as open access. This includes international Universities.
A lot of information is freely available online from the websites of professional associations, research bodies and through social media channels. This includes research reports, professional practice, and current news. A selection of sources for performing arts are listed below.
- Arts Council – championing, developing and investing in the arts and culture
- Arts and Humanities Research Council – including films, podcasts and case studies
- British Library – national library with extensive resources including the British Library Treasures, British Library Sounds and the new Anything but Silent podcast
- TheatreVoice – Leading audio resource for British Theatre including regular podcasts