Subject Spotlight: Resources on Sustainability/Green Issues in the MICE Industry
We’ve curated some of the literature on sustainability and green issues in the MICE industry and wider events industry to give you an idea of what is available and to give you ideas for your own literature searches.
Examples of books & ebooks
Keep in mind that you don’t just have to look for books about sustainable events – books about events generally may have chapters about it.
Davidson, R. (2019) Business events [ebook available]
- There is a chapter in this book called ‘Sustainability for Business Events‘.
Frost, W. (2017) Exhibitions, trade fairs and industrial events [ebook available]
- This book includes a chapter titled ‘Selling Sustainability and the Green Economy: A Case Study of Ecofest, New Zealand‘ written by Jennifer Laing, Judith Mair and Warwick Frost.
Jones, M. (2017) Sustainable Event Management [ebook available]
- This title inlcudes chapters focusing on event sustainability management and destinations and venues.
- There is a chapter in this book called ‘Greening in the MICE Industry‘ by Judith Mair and Deborah Popely.
- This title looks at sustainability from a business and customer experience perspective.
- There are two chapters on green events – one of them is a case study.
Examples of journal articles
When searching for journal articles don’t forget to think of as many keywords as you can, and think about what you can do to refine your search.
A common thing that happens when you search for MICE is that you get results about mice – the tiny furry kind. Try to be specific “MICE industry” or “MICE sector” with quotation marks around the phrase is a way to be more specific and refine your search.
Buathong, K. and Lai, P-C. (2017) Perceived Attributes of Event Sustainability in the MICE Industry in Thailand: A Viewpoint from Governmental, Academic, Venue and Practitioner, Sustainability, 9(7)
Devenish, K. and Moital, M. (2019) Barriers and Facilitators to Event Greening Practices within the Corporate Sphere, Revista de Turismo Contemporaneo, 7(1)
Hyo-Yeun Park and Dae-Kwan Kim (2017) ‘In pursuit of an environmentally friendly convention industry : A sustainability framework and guidelines for a green convention’, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(3), pp. 1028–1051
Lee, S. ‘Shawn’ and Slocum, S. (2015) ‘Understanding the Role of Local Food in the Meeting Industry: An Exploratory Study of Meeting Planners’ Perception of Local Food in Sustainable Meeting Planning’, Journal of Convention & Event Tourism, 16(1), pp. 45–60
Li, X. and Liu, T. (2020) ‘Drivers and barriers of event greening – an Asian perspective’, Current Issues in Tourism, 23(15), pp. 1933–1947