Karl Lagerfeld passes away, how is the news covering his life and legacy?
Karl Lagerfeld, a renowned fashion designer, passed away this week. On BBC Radio 4’s PM programme, a 10 minute segment looked back on his life and discussed his legacy. There is an interview with Lagerfeld himself and there is commentary by Justine Picardie, author of Coco Chanel: the legend and the life.
Box of Broadcasts is a great way to compare how different radio and TV channels discuss the same event. Here is a playlist of news coverage from the day of Lagerfeld’s death, as well as the five part BBC TV series ‘The House of Chanel’.
If you’re interested in what Lagerfeld’s work looked like, the library has a range of books on him and on Chanel. A selection includes:
- Picardie, J. (2017). Coco Chanel: The legend and the life.
- Koda, H., Bolton, A., & Garelick, R. K. (2005). Chanel. New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- Lagerfeld confidential. (2008). Port Washington, NY: Koch Lorber Films. (DVD Documentary)
- Biennale di Firenze (1997). Art fashion. Milano: Skira Ed. – Exhibition catalogue from Florence Biennial of 1997, including Lagerfeld’s work
- Steidl, G. (1995). Karl Lagerfeld – off the record. Zurich New York: Scalo.
- Davies, H. (2010). Fashion designers sketchbooks. London: Laurence King.
- Colapinto, J. (2007, March 12). Karl Lagerfeld’s fashion empire. Retrieved from https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/03/19/in-the-now This is a fabulous in-depth profile of the designer from the New Yorker