World Tourism Day (27th Sept)
The United Nations adopted 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development and today it is World Tourism Day!
Sustainable tourism is a thread that may run throughout many modules for tourism, hospitality and events and you will find many resources within the University Library collections on the Subject of sustainable tourism. Below are some examples, but if you search the Library Catalogue, Discover (via the Library web page) and look at your Key Resources page, you’ll find a lot more…
Journals and journal articles
- Journal of Sustainable Tourism
This is an online journal focused on sustainable tourism. We subscribe from 1997 to the present and the following article from this journal was published earlier this year…
- Gregory-Smith, D, Wells, V, Manika, D, & McElroy, D (2017) ‘An environmental social marketing intervention in cultural heritage tourism: a realist evaluation’, Journal Of Sustainable Tourism, 25, 7, p. 1042
The Following two articles are recent examples from other journal titles…
- Liang, Y, Wang, C, Tsaur, S, Yen, C, & Tu, J (2016), ‘Mega-event and urban sustainable development’, International Journal Of Event & Festival Management, 7, 3, p. 152
- Poudel, S, Nyaupane, G, & Budruk, M (2016), ‘Stakeholders’ Perspectives of Sustainable Tourism Development’, Journal Of Travel Research, 55, 4, p. 465
Tips for searching for journals and articles (click to expand)
The best way to find journal articles is to search Discover from the library web site. When you search Discover you are actually searching within lots of journal titles at once. This is great because you may find relevant articles in unexpected journals – when you’re studying an interdisciplinary subject this can be really useful.
If you find that you would like to browse some of the Key Tourism, Hospitality & Events Journals then you can either use the ‘Journal Titles’ link on the library web page or you can take a look at the list of T.H.E. journals maintained by the library. Do keep in mind that this is a list of key journals and you will find a lot more on Discover.
Books & ebooks
- Edgell, D.L. (2016) Managing sustainable tourism: a legacy for the future
- Hall, C.M. (2013) Sustainable culinary systems: local foods, innovation, tourism and hospitality (ebook)
All books & ebooks are available from the Library Catalogue (via the search box on the Library web page)
You will find data and analysis from market research on our market research databases. A recent example on the topic of sustainable tourism from the Euromonitor Passport database are listed below and for more information on market research visit the T.H.E. Key resources page.
- The struggle towards Sustainable Tourism Development (videocast and report/briefing)
Open access resources from the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO)
- Tourism & Sustainable Development Goals
- Tourism Stories: Volume I (How tourism enriched my life) and Volume II (My Story, My Community, Our Future)
We’ve listed the freely available UNWTO doucments along with those we have in our collection on a My Module Resources list.