Tourism in the news….
There’s been a fair amount of news about the effects of tourism on local residents and on the environment and last night the focus of the BBC Radio 4 programme Moral Maze, was ‘The Morality of Holidays‘.
If this is a topic that interests you and you missed the show last night you can listen to it on BBC iPlayer.
You will find academic journal articles about local residents and tourism destinations on Discover. Below are just a few examples:
- Almeida-García, F, Peláez-Fernández, M, Balbuena-Vázquez, A, & Cortés-Macias, R (2016), ‘Residents’ perceptions of tourism development in Benalmádena (Spain)‘, Tourism Management, 54, pp. 259-274
- Andereck, K, & Nyaupane, G n.d., (2011) ‘Exploring the Nature of Tourism and Quality of Life Perceptions among Residents‘, Journal Of Travel Research, 50, 3, pp. 248-260
Tourism in the news…
If you want to read some news articles about this you can find quite a few from this week:
- Anti-tourism attacks in Spain: Who is behind the and what do they want? (Business Standard)
- First Venice and Barcelona: now anti-tourism marches spread across Europe (Guardian)
- Why Barcelona locals really hate tourists (Independent)
- Skye islanders call for help with overcrowding after tourism surge (Guardian)
City Travel Reports…
Euromonitor Passport publish City Travel Reports with analysis and statistics, and if you are interested in tourism in Barcelona you will find such a report by searching the Travel industry section of Euromonitor.