Bio Psycho Social Model of Care

Bio Psycho

The Bio Psycho Social Model of Care

Provided by: Ms Stephanie Hunter, Senior Lecturer, University of Sunderland

This unit explores understanding of why children and young people behave in the way they do and helps to build understanding form the child or young person’s perspective. This unit includes a range of suggestions for supporting children and young people both within school environments and the home environment. This unit is suitable for a wide range of people including professionals (health, Social Services and Education) as well as support workers/ para-professionals, parents, carers, corporate parents, foster parents kinship carers and adoptive parents or those seeking to understand children and young people  in a holistic way.

£55 from January 2017 – 10 hours CPD equivalent – you can register HERE

What is included in the unit

1. a single login which will take you to the main page where you will find everything you need- including a quick access email link to the tea
  2. a series of MP4 format presentations that can playback on any device including mobile phone
  3. easy to use student handbook, available in word or pdf where you can add notes and ideas to keep these together for later use and ease of storage
  4. easy links to additional resources pertinent to the unit
  5. a listed webliography (providing additional resources for any further reading or viewing you may want to do)
  6. the option to purchase a full parchment certificate posted  to your home address from the University of Sunderland listing achievements (pdf format certificate is sent electronically as part of the unit fee
  7. support available throughout including an admin team: cape@sunderland.ac.uk alongside wendy.thorley@sunderland.ac.uk, the admin team at Cape are also available via telephone Mon-Fri- from early until 5pm

FEEDBACK FOR THIS UNIT: (thank you to everyone for letting us know your thoughts)

From taking part in this unit I feel that I have ……..been given plenty of food for thought. I learnt a lot more about the presentation of PTSD in children, and issues around this. Whilst I did not agree with everything I read, I am far from being an expert in this area! I enjoy reading foster care books such as those written by Cathy Glass and Casey Watson et al, and this unit has helped explain why the children they foster behave in the way they do. I feel I've learnt quite a bit, building on knowledge I already had, especially around PTSD in children. The section on secondary trauma, whilst of vital importance, is not so relevant to myself personally as I don't currently work directly with a child. However, it is good background knowledge to have when I attend supervision groups for volunteers who provide therapeutic play for children as well as the information work I do for that charity. I will also be able to feed into the group when we are discussing a child who has experienced trauma and suggest why they might be behaving in the way they are and what they are trying to tell their play worker in order to aid their recovery October 2016